Monday, May 26, 2008

Cheese 'n Onion Bread

I used to make this bread years ago & just recently 'found' it in my cookbook. I remembered how much I liked it & thought it would make really good Texas Toast, so I made it last week.

Cheese 'n Onion Bread
1 1/4 c. warm milk
2 TBLS. butter (room temp.)
1 TBLS. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I used a bit more)
1/8 tsp. paprika ( I used a bit more)
3 1/2 C. bread flour
1 pkg. yeast (2-3 tsp.)
1 C. cheese, shredded (I used cheddar)
1/3 C. red onion, minced (I used vidalia)
(the recipe didn't call for it, but I added 1/4 c. chopped chives)

Add the yeast to the warm milk and set aside.
In a large bowl, add the butter to the flour & stir it in with a fork a little bit. Then add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese & onion. Stir with a wooden spoon until you can't anymore & then use your hands. Knead in flour for 5 minutes or more, until it has a nice smooth texture.

Then add your cheese & onion. I also added chives because I needed to trim the chives I had in the garden. I thought this was a neat picture. I took it just before I kneaded the cheese, onion, & chives in.
Knead the cheese & onion into the bread. It took about another 5 minutes.
Set in a warm place, covered with a clean towel, for about 90 minutes, or until doubled.

I LOVE how bread looks (& smells!) when rising!

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.



I froze one loaf for another day (after it cooled of course), & then sliced the other for Texas Toast. I make thick slices, butter both sides, & bake at 425 for 5 minutes & then turn the bread slices & bake a few minutes more.
This was great with speghitti!


No comments: