Saturday, December 13, 2008

Country White Bread

I used to make this recipe in my bread machine a lot. Lately, I've just been making bread by hand, but I came upon this recipe in my binder, so I thought I'd try it again. It's really a nice white bread. It slices well & has a nice flavor.

Country White Bread
1 C. plus 1 T. warm water
1 egg
4 1/2 t. vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
3 1/2 C. bread flour
1/4 C. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
2 1/4 t. active dry yeast

If you are using a bread machine, combine all ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer of your machine.
If by hand:
Mix the yeast into the warm water & set aside. Combine the rest of the ingredients. Add the water & yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until you can't anymore & then turn it out onto the table. Use hands to finish mixing & then knead on floured table for 6-8 minutes, or until smooth & 'satiny' feeling.
Put 1 t. oil into bowl & turn the dough to coat it. Cover with a clean towel & put in warm spot to rise for 90 minutes. Punch down & knead for a few minutes. Put it into a greased bread pan, & cover to rise for another 45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
Please slice while still warm & slather it with real butter. It will make you happy. :)


Here is a really neat tip I learned from reading some of the links on Tammy's Kitchen Tip Tuesdays. I cannot for the life of me remember which site I read it on, or I would give credit where credit is due & link you to her site. The best I can do is say that this tip was linked on Tammy's site sometime within the last 4-6 weeks. Since reading it, I have been using this tip often. The tip was to use those big bags you get in the produce department of the store, those bags you put your onions in, or garlic, or even bananas. They are nice and big & are the perfect size for a homemade loaf of bread!
In the past I have wrapped loaves in plastic wrap, or used an expensive gallon sized zip lock bags. Plastic wrap can be a pain in the neck, & zip lock bags (the giant ones) are just too expensive. These bags you get (for free!!!) in the produce dept. are perfect to put your homemade bread in! I have saved my produce bags from the last two months & I have been using them.
My thanks to the lady who gave this tip! I'm sorry I don't remember which site I found this great tip. These produce bags keep my bread fresh!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have just plain old STOPPED making bread! I just do better without it around...maybe if I get married some time I'll start making it again! This looks good, though. I could try it some time!