Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kitchen Tip & Tempt My Tummy Tuesday








I'm going to try to participate in both Kitchen Tip Tuesdays AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays. You can see more kitchen tips at Tammy's site & more tempting recipes at Lisa's site.
My recipe this week is Milk Chocolate Cookies with Malted Cream.
I first saw this recipe over at Cookie Madness
and the origional recipe is at the Food & wine site.
I LOVE malted milk, so I sure wanted to try them.


Milk Chocolate Cookies with Malted Cream

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
FILLING
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup chocolate malt powder, such as Ovaltine
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar



Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Make the cookies: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and beat until smooth. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and beat at low speed just until incorporated. Roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper to a scant 1/4-inch thickness and refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, stamp out as many rounds as possible and transfer to the baking sheets, 1 inch apart. Gather the scraps and chill, with the cut-out rounds, for 10 minutes. Reroll the scraps and stamp out more rounds.
Bake the cookies in the lower and middle thirds of the oven for about 10 minutes, until dry and set; shift the pans halfway through baking. Transfer the cookies to a rack and let cool completely.
Make the filling: In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the chocolate malt powder at medium speed until light, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and beat at low speed just until combined. Transfer the filling to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip. Arrange half of the cookies on a work surface, bottom side up, and pipe a 1-inch mound of filling onto each. Sandwich with the remaining cookies, pressing to spread the filling to the edges. Serve.


I just love to see my cookie jar filled with cookies!

I have to say that these were very good cookies. They were pretty rich, but rich is good.
I will make these again, but I think I do need to find a smaller cookie cutter. These were just a little big for how sweat they were. I think they would be great the size of oreo cookies. It would just be more work.
I also think these would be really good with a mint filling instead. I love the malt, I'm just a mint freak, so I'm thinking a few drops of peppermint extract & a few drops of green food coloring.
I do think I'll try that one of these days!
I hope you enjoy my tip & that it tempts your tummy!
P.S. PLEASE keep praying for Baby Caiden. He is still in ICU on a ventilator. He has been on the vent for almost 2 weeks. This last week he had pneumonia again, & now has an infection in his blood. I ache for your prayers for him.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for the update on Caiden; still praying... Have you gotten to visit him in the hospital, or not??

Anonymous said...

My husband is a huge fan of malted milk balls. He would love these!

Jane said...

Hi Tammy,
We went to the hospital on Saturday evening, but the family had checked a box for "no visitors" so they wouldn't even tell the mom of the baby that we were there. When Caiden's mom found out we were there she was pretty upset that she didn't know it!
I am SUPER happy to report that Caiden was taken OFF the ventilator & is now on the C-pap machine. It's sending in oxygen, but he IS breathing on his own now. He is on antibiotics for a blood infection, but as of Tuesday he wasn't running fever that day. This is also WONDERFUL news!
He's also suffering severe withdrawl from all the meds they had to have him on while he was on the vent for almost 2 weeks, so they are giving him some meds to help a little with that.
That's the most recent & the BEST update I've had!
Thank you SO MUCH for your prayers. I know he still needs them. I am giving God Almighty all the glory!
(I'm never really sure about blog commenting etiquette, so I'll copy & paste this to your site's comments so I know you'll see it.)

Hi Amy,
That is why I made them too. I LOVE malted milk balls!