Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pizza Burgers


I need to clarify that this is not pizza on a bun. (although that's good too)
I call this the 70's style pizza burger. Where I grew up in the Midwest, this was served in school cafeterias. Most kids loved it when we had pizza burgers. Other days we were afraid of the food! LOL A few years ago I was going through my Taste of Home magazine & I found this recipe. And the description was the same.....they refered to it as a "70's food item" ! LOL!
Also....I burn the cheese on top on purpose. Although it doesn't look so good in a picture, it is tasty! Nothin' like burnt American processed cheese squares! ROTFLOL (or as the Kraft package states: "pasteurized prepared cheese product" )
Broiled Pizza Burgers
1 pound ground beef
2 T. chopped onion
2 t. cornstarch
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 t. oregano
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. onion salt
10 sliced process American cheese, divided
6 hamburger buns, split
In Skillet, cook beef & onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with cornstarch; stir until blended. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt & onion salt. Cook, uncovered , for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, Add 6 cheese slices; cook & stir until cheese is melted & blended. Place hamburger buns cut side up on an foil lined baking pan (for easy clean up) spoon about 1/4 cup of meat mixture onto each bun half. Cut remaining cheese slices in half diagonally; place over meat mixture. Broil 6-8 inches from heat for 4 minutes until cheese is melted(or a little longer if you want your cheese to burn).
This recipe actually calls for 4 hamburger buns, but I easily use 6. You may need to use 1 more cheese slice when using 6 buns instead of 4. Also, when I made this tonight (altho the picture is from this summer!) I used Velveeta in the meat mixture instead of the cheese slices, but used the cheese slices on top. Oh! I almost forgot! I never use plain canned diced tomatoes & then add oregano. I buy the chopped tomatoes that have oregano & garlic already in them.
And~ the fries in the picture, they are fries that I get at WalMart for 50 cents a bag!
I deep fry them in canola oil & we think they taste like McDonald's fries!

No comments: