Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cheddar and Herb Biscuits

When I put up my quick recipe for Cajun Beans & Rice, I mentioned that I had seen them made from scratch on tv. The show was called Down Home with the Neelys, & her red beans & rice sure looked good! She also served these cheddar biscuits with her rice. I thought they looked good, so when I made the the cajun beans & rice this week, I added these biscuits.
Here's a link to the original recipe.
I did make just a few changes. The original recipe calls for 1/2 t. cayenne pepper. That's way too much for us! Wow. I used 1/4 t. & they were too hot for our son to eat, so you could even go less than that if you'd like. I liked them at 1/4 t. & I thought they were pretty spicy (in a good way). I think my dh could take more cayenne in them though. So just use the pepper to your taste. The other change was the amount of melted butter that you brush on the biscuits. 4 T. was just way too much. I had melted butter left over & I really coated them all well. I just hate to waste anything. So 2 T. should be good for that.


Cheddar & Herb Biscuits
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives ( I used dehydrated onions because I didn't have any chives)
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
3/4 cup grated sharp yellow Cheddar
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted

( I think it would also be good to add some garlic.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cayenne together using a whisk. Add the herbs, cheese and buttermilk. Stir together until dough forms. Once dough has formed, using an ice cream scooper, scoop out dough onto baking tray. With a brush, lightly butter tops. Bake for 15 minutes.
They were sure good dipped in the cajun rice & beans!



2 comments:

Tracey C. said...

mmmm! Looks really good, and so easy! The Knorr for the beans/rice is on sale at Publix this week for buy one, get one free ($1.49 for 2 I think). If you have a coupon, even cheaper! I'm going to try your beans/rice and biscuits for our sunday supper! Thanks so much!
Warmly, Tracey C.

Jane said...

I hope you & your family enjoy the meal, Tracey!

We don't have a Publix anywhere near us. :(