Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Meatball Sandwich

Look at this meatball sandwich!!! YUM!

I love to find new recipes that are KEEPERS, & I love to find new food blogs to follow. I found both with this meatball sandwich. I found this at For the Love of Cooking. Pam takes the most beautiful pictures of food that I think I have ever seen! Plus, her food doesn't just look good, it tastes good. Here is the link to her Meatball Sandwich. There is no way that my picture even comes close to doing this sandwich justice. Y'all have to know that I am not a photographer. LOL So please go look at Pam's. :)


Meatball Sandwich from Pam at For the Love of Cooking
Mushroom Marinara:
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
6 oz of button or cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp white sugar
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute until tender; add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds, stirring frequently. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for at least 2 hours. (This made the house smell AMAZING.)

Meatballs:
1 lb lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
7 button mushrooms, diced finely
1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
1/4 cup of Italian style breadcrumbs
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 egg
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp olive oil (for cooking)
Put the onions, garlic and mushrooms in a food processor to chop, otherwise chop them as small as you can. Combine all ingredients (except for olive oil) together gently. Form into small meatballs and set aside. Once the meatballs are prepared. Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Cook the meatballs until golden brown on all sides. Remove from skillet and place the cooked meatballs in the mushroom marinara.
Hoagie rolls
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmesan cheese, shredded
Fresh basil, chopped
To assemble, place meatballs with some sauce in the hoagie rolls. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella and Parmesan. Place in a pan, under the broiler and melt cheese - watch carefully so don't burn. Top with basil and serve. Enjoy!

Thank you so much for this recipe Pam! It was out of this world...AMAZING!
If I could gush over this sandwich anymore I would. YUM YUM YUM!

4 comments:

Memories of yesterday said...

That looks amazing! Mine never looks that good. You know how you watch a fast food commercial and you think, "Their food never looks like that!" Well, YOUR food looks like the commercial food, while mine looks like it's been under the warmer for 15 minutes waiting for me to order it. LOL

Jane said...

Why thank you Stacey!
I always think my pics turn out so
blah. LOL
But what matters is how it tastes! And man oh man this meatball sandwich is DELICIOUS!
And I'm sure your food looks great!

Pam said...

Thank you so much for the shout out on your blog - I really appreciate all the kind things you said. It's an honor that you tried my recipe and liked it. I love those sandwiches and aren't the meatballs the best? Thanks again!

Jane said...

Yes! These are great meatballs!
Thanks again, Pam!