Sunday, October 28, 2007

CHEWY OATMEAL SCOTCHIES

This is one of our favorite cookies. I've been making oatmeal scotchies for years, but I've been using the recipe on the back of the butterscotch chips bag. They were really good, and they came out of the oven looking really good. But as they cooled, they always went flat. They went really flat. They were good, but flat.
Then I found a recipe for Chewy Oatmeal Cookies from an Amish cookbook. I kind of combined the two recipes. The Amish recipe didn't call for the butterscotch chips or cinnamon, & of course we need those! But I like the measurements in the Amish recipe. And I learned something here....the Amish recipe calls for 1 cup of Crisco & the cookies don't fall flat. The recipe on the chips package calls for butter or margarine. I've always used margarine so I am assuming that is what causes them to go flat.
So I have combined the two recipes & this is what I get:
CHEWY OATMEAL SCOTCHIES
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. crisco
2 eggs
3 c. quick oatmeal (I've used regular oats before & it was fine)
2 c. sifted flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla
1 package (11 oz.) butterscotch chips
1/2 t. cinnamon

Cream sugars thoroughly with crisco until light & fluffy. Beat in eggs. In seperate bowl sift the measured flour with salt, baking soda & powder, & cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the crisco & sugar mixture & mix well. Add vanilla. Then stir in the 3 c. oatmeal & the butterscotch chips. It will be pretty thick, I use a heavy wooden spoon.
Roll into balls & bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
Let set on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then remove to wire rack (I have never had a wire rack...lol...so I just use paper towels).
These are SO GOOD....especially WARM right out of the oven.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jane,
Awesome cookies. This is the second time I've made them using your recipe, and the music playing in the background added a nice touch.

Anonymous said...

try using your butter and add 2 tbls canola oil and 2 tbls corn starch.