Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hot Mushroom Turnovers


I found this recipe while looking through a cookbook called Start with Appetizers...end with Desserts, & it was published in 1996 by JCPenney for the United Way. It is just appetizers & desserts. The 1st recipe I tried from this cookbook was not good. lol It was for 'cheese straws' & they pretty much tasted like spicy cheese flavored pie dough. Gross. But these mushroom turnovers were definitely a hit. :)
Hot Mushroom Turnovers
dough:
9 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. flour
filling:
1 lg. onion, diced
2 T. butter
1/2 lb. mushrooms, chopped
1/4 t. thyme
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. flour
1/4 c. cream
Filling: Brown onion lightly in 2 T. butter. Add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes (or so). Add thyme, salt, & pepper; sprinkle with flour & stir well. Stir in cream & stir until thickened. Set aside.
Dough: Mix cream cheese & butter. Add flour & blend until smooth; chill 30 minutes. Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Cut into 3 inch rounds ( I used a glass as a round cookie cutter). Place 1 teaspoon of filling on each & fold over. Press edges with a fork & prick a few holes in the top. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 15 minutes, until lightly brown. The recipe says to bake at 450.....but that's pretty high for my oven. I think I baked these at 400 & just kept a close watch. It also said the yeild was 50, but I only got about 30, maybe I didn't roll them as thin as I should have. Here's a picture of the whole plate of them (I should have put that one that broke open in the back! lol).

I would serve this as an appetizer. Maybe we'll add this to our line-up of snacks on New Year's Eve.
The day I made these, I added them to our supper. We had crawfish gravy on mashed potatoes.
It was actually a nice pairing, we thougth it was good. :)

No comments: