Monday, June 8, 2009

Dill Sub Buns (or country white bread)

Here's just a slightly different recipe than I usually use for sub buns.
I have a recipe for Amish Bread & Country White Bread that are identical except one calls for vital wheat gluten & the other calls for an egg. This is the one that calls for an egg. Plus I had a bunch of dill I just picked from the herb garden so I added a few tablespoons of fresh minced dill.
Here is how I roll them out for longer sub buns. This recipe made 7, plus a small sized one for our 6 year old. Actually, it could have made 8. The buns in the darker tray in the back were a little big. That dark cookie sheet in the back is really old, at least 40 years old anyway. LOL I remember making chocolate chip cookies on it when I was growing up & it was an older one even back then. My mom gave it to me way back, like back in my 20's, & it is one of my favorite. You can see all the lines on it from cutting pizza on it over the years.
Here they are baked. You can see the ones on the tray on the right are a bit too big. I need to remember to make them smaller, actually, I need to make them long & thin like the picture above. That tray turned out nice.

And here's the sandiwch, we had polish sausage sandwiches that night, along with homemade (KFC copy cat) cole slaw. It was so good! Some resteraunts actually serve cole slaw on top of sausage sandwiches. My husband did this and really liked it like that, I like my cole slaw on the side.

Dill Sub Buns (or Country White Bread)

1 C. plus 1 T. warm water
1 egg
4 1/2 t. olive oil
3 1/2 C. bread flour
1/4. C. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
2 1/4 t. yeast
2 T. fresh dill, minced (optional)

Stir together the water & yeast & set aside. Mix remaining ingredients. Add the water/yeast mixture. Knead with dough hook on mixer for 3 or 4 minutes on low. Or, hand knead for 8-10 minutes. Add a bit of olive oil to a bowl, add dough & turn to coat. Cover & set in warm place for 90 minutes. Punch down. Put in greased bread pan for bread, or for sub buns roll them out long & skinny & place on greased cookie sheet. Cover & rise until doubled, about 45 minutes or so.

For bread, bake about 30 minutes. For sub buns (or even hamburger buns) bake about 15 minutes or so.

I found this picture when I made it as Country White Bread last fall. (Served with light brown beef stew that I haven't posted the recipe for yet.)

No comments: