Thursday, June 11, 2009

Grilled Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa

I got this recipe from the current Taste of Home Magazine (June/July 2009).
It is on page 56 & is listed as "inspected for value: estimated cost per serving as $1.81".
I had never grilled tilapia before, & I had never ever made pineapple salsa before, so I was excited for us to try something new tonight.
Here's a picture of the beautiful & tasty pineapple salsa:

Grilled Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa
2 C. fresh pineapple, cubed
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 C. green pepper, finely chopped
1/4 C. fresh cilantro, minced
4 t. plus 2 T. lime juice, divided (I used lemon juice)
1/8 t. plus 1/4 t. salt, divided
dash cayenne pepper
1 T. canola oil
8 tilapia fillets (4 oz. each)
1/8 t. pepper

In a small bowl, combine the pineapple, onions, green pepper, cilantro, 4 t. lime juice, 1/8 t. salt, & cayenne. Chill until serving.
Combine oil and remaining lime juice; brush over fillets. Sprinkle with pepper & remaining salt.
Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting grill. Grill fish, cover over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Serve with pineapple salsa.

I served this with grilled cabbage, which was also a new thing for us.


I really liked this. The pineapple salsa was really good! Those flavors just tasted wonderful together. We weren't all of the same opinion on this though. My husband is not really a fan of fish, so he didn't really care for it. Our daughter didn't care for the salsa, but she really liked the fish. She dipped her fish it into a lemon herb tarter sauce. Our 6 year old LOVED it, he had two large helpings of the fish & salsa!

I'll post the recipe for the grilled cabbage next. Because I love cabbage, this was a big hit with me.

No comments: