Saturday, October 6, 2007

Porcupines

I used to call these Porcupine Balls.....until I realized what that meant! I just thought that these meatballs resemble porcupines because of the rice, & well, meatballs are shaped like a ball....
then a light bulb came on a few years ago & I realized what I'd been saying! So I now just call them PORCUPINES! :)

1 box Beef Rice a Roni
1-1/2 to 2 pounds hamburger
1 egg
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Mix meat, rice, egg, onion, & garlic . Shape into meatballs & brown on all sides. I make these kind of big, a little bigger than golf balls.
Drain off the grease.
Add 2-1/2 C. hot water to the beef flavoring packet that came in the rice a roni. Pour over meatballs. Cover & boil for 15-20 minutes or until rice looks puffy & soft.
Take lid off & cook water down some to make a nice gravy (well, it's more like a sauce).
We LOVE these & I usually serve them with mashed potatoes & corn. And the next day, if there are any leftovers, they make wonderful sandwiches! YUM!

No comments: