Friday, March 28, 2008

Creamy Sausage Sandwich

This recipe came out of this month's Taste of Home Magazine. It is actually called Hearty Sausage Sandwich & is shown on page 30 of the April/May 2008 issue. On account of a few things, I have changed the name. 1st, I can't find it listed on their site in order to link this recipe back to them. 2nd, this recipe is way more creamy than it is hearty, in my humble opinion. And 3rd, I did change the recipe a bit, so I feel like I can call it mine & change the name. LOL! The origional recipe called for a large loaf of unsliced Italian bread & I used deli-style sub buns. It also needed more than the 1/4 t. of oregano & the 1/4 c. chopped mushrooms that it called for, so those were my changes. But I do want to give full credit to Taste of Home Magazine for this recipe. :) Here's a picture of all the sandwiches straight out of the oven:
Creamy Sausage Sandwich
1 pound bulk italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
1/2 to 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c. water
1/2 t. (or more to taste) dried oregano
6 deli-style buns
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper, & garlic until done & no longer pink; drain & return to pan. Add the cream cheese, mushrooms, parmesan cheese, water, & oregano.
Cook & stir until cheese is melted.
Open the 6 deli-buns. Spread shredded mozzarella cheese on each. Then spread a generous helping of cheesy sausage mixture, & then top with a little more mozzarella. Try to close the buns. (lol)
Place on baking sheet & bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. You could use a large loaf of Italian bread & make one large sandwich & cut into serving size sandwiches.
This was a hit with everyone! It really was good. And creamy! After typing this recipe, I also see that it could be called Three Cheese Sausage Sandwich!
Whatever the name, it's a keeper.
Here's my plate:


I cut it in half in order to eat it a little easier.

No comments: