Friday, February 6, 2009

Cajun Beans & Rice

Here's another recipe that I consider cheap, easy, & good.
I can't remember who gave me this recipe. I think it was somebody in our family, but I just can't remember. Years ago we ate it at someone's house & they gave me the recipe. I never would have tried it otherwise. It would not have sounded good to me if I just read the recipe. We're just not "rice people". Both my dh & I have never cared for rice. But we did try this dish & we really, REALLY liked it.
It's called Cajun Beans & Rice, and you use a package called Cajun Sides: Red Beans & Rice. It's made by Knorr, but used to be made by Lipton. You can just follow the directions on this packet & make some red beans & rice, or you can add a few other ingredients to "kick it up a notch".

Here's my list of ingredients:
1 package of Knorr brand Cajun Red Beans & Rice
1 T. butter or olive oil
1 package polish sausage, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 can diced tomatoes (I use home canned stewed tomatoes, pint size jar)
2 C. water

In large saucepan saute the polish sausage & green pepper in the butter until tender. Stir in the Red Beans & Rice package & 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 7 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes & simmer another minute or 2. Let stand for 5 minutes.

This is very good with bread & butter, or biscuits.


Just last week on tv I saw someone make this from scratch. I may want to try that sometime. As far as this recipe, it feeds a family of 4 for around $5.
The packet of beans & rice usually costs 99 cents.
The tomatoes are under a dollar (or nearly free if you have home canned).
The polish sausage has been running $2.50 at WalMart.
The green pepper is under a dollar.
So that qualifies it as cheap in my book.
And you see how easy the recipe is.
You'll just have to try it & judge for yourself to see if it is good. :)
I think most people would like this...
Our non-eating rice family does!

**Edited to add:
Try these
Cheddar & Herb Biscuits with cajun beans & rice. YUM!

No comments: