Saturday, October 13, 2007

ICE CREAM TIME!

HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM WITH ANDES CREME DE MENTHE PIECES



She Treads Softly gave me the idea to add creme de menthe pieces to ice cream.
I am not able to come up with any words to aptly describe how wonderful this tastes.
Here's my recipe for this light chocolate ice cream. It is for a gallon & a half ice cream maker.

HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM (light chocolate)
4 squares semi-sweet melted chocolate
6 c. half & half (or use some half & half & some cream)
3-3/4 c sugar
7-1/2 T. flour
1-1/2 t. salt
7 eggs
Melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler & heat up the half & half to about the same temperature. Combine & beat with mixer for a while. Set aside to cool.
In large mixing bowl, combine other ingredients and then fold it into the cooled milk & chocolate mixture. Put back onto the heat & cook & stir until spoon is coated. (don't boil)
Let cool & then refrigerate overnight.
When it's time to make the ice cream, pour into the canaster. -This part is probably exclusive to this big old ice cream freezer I have- then pour milk into canister until it is 4 or 5 inches from the top. It usually takes about a quart of milk to do this. I don't understand this, but I do it & it works. lol I would think it would water down the ice cream. But like I said, it works. :)
We crank our freezer for 20 minutes or so. If we eat the ice cream right after cranking, it is soft like soft serve ice cream, kind of like a thick milk shake. So after we enjoyed some ice cream, I brought the can in, added the Andes Creme De Menthe baking chips, stirred, & then poured it into a 1.5 gallon ice cream container (the plastic kind with a handle, that you get ice cream in the store, it's like a bucket), then cover with plastic wrap before puting on the lid.
Once it freezes harder, it looks like the picture.
I think this is my favorite so far. But I may need to make that coffee mint ice cream again & put these mint pieces in that! Then I don't know which would be my favorite!

4 comments:

Lori L said...

Oh Yum! Oh Yum! Oh Yum!
I WILL try this someday!

Dawn said...

O my word!! That looks scrumptious!!!

Joyful Mother said...

Oh my - I love those little mints!

Jane said...

And these mints make great cookies too.
:)