Sunday, April 27, 2008

Lipton Onion Bread

Lipton Onion Bread is just what it sounds like:
Bread made with Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
Here's the loaf I made last week:

Now I have to say that I made this bread about a year ago. I did NOT like it. I ended up giving it to my mom. A few days after that, she told me it was great, & made probably the best toast she's ever had! I just never threw the recipe away because I figured that some day I'd give it another chance, & use this bread to make thick slices of Texas Toast. I gave this bread another chance last week. We did really like it as Texas Toast. Our favorite is still the Black Pepper Onion Bread, but this does make great toast.

Lipton Onion Bread
7 ounces warm water
2 t. yeast
1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
2 C. bread flour
1 T. olive oil

Add the yeast to the warm water; stir & set aside.
Add the flour to a large bowl & then stir in the soup mix. Make a little well in the middle & add the oil, then add the yeast water. Stir with a wooden spoon until you can't anymore & then use your hands. Knead in flour on the table for 7-10 minutes until it has that 'satiny smooth' look & feel.
Put about a teaspoon of olive oil in a bowl, put dough in & turn to coat it with oil. Cover & let stand in warm place for 90 minutes or until it has risen to double.
Punch down & knead a few turns & shape into a long thin loaf. (I didn't make this loaf that thin & it really spread out kind of wide during the next rise.) Put on baking stone or cookie sheet (or into a bread pan), cover with a towel, & let rise another hour or so, again until about doubled.
Bake at 350-400 for about 25-30 minutes. Bread will sound hollow when flipped with your finger.

To make Texas Toast:
Slice bread kind of thick, about 1 inch or so. Butter both sides of the bread & bake for 5-7 minutes at 425. And, after you get a slight crust going, you can flip the bread if you want (don't have to) & add any kind of cheese. I forgot to add cheese the 1st night, but I remembered the following day when we had leftovers. I added provalone & it was GOOOOOOOD!

We had this with crockpot lasanga & cottage cheese.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I like the sound of onion bread. Always trying out savory breads to serve with barbeque. Am definitely going to give this a try and let you know what we think.

Jane said...

I hope you like it, Jo!
:)