Monday, July 28, 2008

Blueberry Muffins that are ***TO DIE FOR***

That's what the recipe said, it really did say they were TO DIE FOR.
It was from a recipe that I found online (cooks.com I think), but I don't need to link to it I guess, because now I can't find it, and I canged it a bit by adding vanilla & the topping. Next to the recipe that I now have in my binder I wrote, "KEEPER! This is IT. This is THE blueberry muffin recipe to use from now to evermore!" LOL

Really. They're THAT good. Please try them!
Blueberry Muffins
1 ½ C. flour
¾ C. white sugar
½ t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/3 C. vegetable oil (I use canola)
1 egg
1/3 C. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 C. (or more!) fresh blueberries
Topping:
½ C. brown sugar
1/3 C. flour
¼ C. butter, cubed
1 ½ t. Cinnamon
Combine the flour, sugar, salt, & baking powder in medium or large bowl. In a small bowl stir together the milk, oil, egg, & vanilla. Mix this into the flour mixture stir with a spoon until just combined (don’t over stir). Fold in blueberries. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners. Fill muffins cups about ½ to 2/3 full.
For the crumb topping: mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, & butter with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle about 1 t. (or more!) of this mixture on each muffin. The first time I made this, I used a light hand for the topping (about 1 t.) & had lots of topping left over.
Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. For mini-muffins, bake about 15 minutes.

Here's a picture of a batch of mini muffins I made with this recipe. I made the mistake the first time of not using muffin liners with the minis. You really have to. Blueberry muffins are just not as sturdy as banana or zucchini muffins, which I never use liners with because they pop right out of the mini muffin pan. But not blueberry muffins, they're too unstable with those big, juicy, plump, delicious blueberries in there. The first batch that I didn't use liners on, at least half of them broke when I took them out of the pan. They were still delicious, & there wasn't a single one left over, but they were very hard to get out of the pan without breaking them. So, lesson learned, I now use muffin liners.

Go make these! Bake, eat, & enjoy. You will probably moan.

No comments: