Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Grilled Stuffed Peppers

This is what it looks like every time we pick peppers.
We probably pick once a week or so.
And this is why I have to freeze them or make green pepper jelly.


I found this recipe on a blog called Calendula & Concrete. For some reason I can't direct link to the pepper recipe, so if you scroll down it is the third (I think) post.
I used green bell peppers & sweet bananna peppers. But I'm telling you right now, I did NOT like the taste of the bananna peppers roasted. The flavor was just...gross. So it was a good thing I only grilled a few of those. LOL
So, grill your peppers until blackened on all sides. Here's a picture of mine just starting out on the grill.

Grill until completely blackened. Remove them from the grill & place in a paper bag & put in the freezer for 10 minutes. This helps in removing the skins. Actually, I guess I wouldn't know, because I was in a hurry & skipped this part. LOL
Remove the outer skin, it should come off easily.
Slice the peppers open & remove the seeds.
In a bowl, combine:
A few cups of fresh corn. I used our freezer corn, but it would be really cool to use fresh corn on the cob & grill that too!
1 C. Monterey Jack Cheese (I also added some cheddar)
I onion, diced
cilantro
salt & pepper to taste

Fill the peppers with this mixture, & place into a casserole dish. I had corn mixture left over, so I added it to the corner of the pan. Bake at 350 until heated through, about 10-15 minutes.

There's the extra corn in the bottom right hand corner of the pan.
And the banana peppers in the bottom left corner of the pan. Those went into the trash. yuk.

But the green peppers were delicious! Oh goodness! We had leftovers because this was a side dish when we had mexicali tuna melts. This was so good, that I had this plate for breakfast the next day. And, I thought it tasted even better that following day! There are just some things that once they spend the night in the frig, they taste even better.

No comments: