Saturday, July 12, 2008

BEET GREENS



I've never cooked beet greens before. This year I decided to try it. Everyone in my family LOVES spinach, except for me. I think it tastes like dirt, & it is one of very few things that I don't care for. I'm not picky at all. I just don't like spinach. The rest of my family love it so much they even eat it cold, straight out of the can. Yuck! LOL
I found this recipe for beet greens over at
Simply Recipes. The recipe can be found here.

Beet Greens

1 pound beet greens
1 strip of thick cut bacon, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup of water
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/6 cup of cider vinegar
Wash the greens in a sink filled with cold water. Drain greens and wash a second time. Drain greens and remove any heavy stems. Tear leaves into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
In a 3 qt saucepan, cook bacon until lightly browned. Add onions, cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occassionally, until onions soften and start to brown. Stir in garlic. Add water to the hot pan, stirring to loosen any particles from bottom of pan. Stir in sugar and red pepper. Continue cooking until mixture boils. Add greens, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes (up to 30 minutes for kale or collard greens). Stir in vinegar. (For kale or collard greens continue cooking additional 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness.)

First I have to show you this picture. The chopped bacon had been cooking until slightly browned & then I added the onions. Bacon & onions fryin' in a pan. Oh my.
The smell was as you can imagine!

Not all of my family cared for beet greens. Only half of us liked it. I am the spinach hater, & I really really liked this! My spinach lovin' husband & 17 year old daughter took one bite & wrinkled their nose & said they'd pass. LOL But our 5 year old son & I LOVED it.
I thought I'd incude a picture of this snack plate I had. Everything here came from the garden. I had some beet greens, pickled beets, & copy cat KFC cole slaw. YUM!

Thanks to the lady at Simply Recipes, I now know that I really like beet greens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's what I always say about spinach - really! It DOES taste like dirt! LOL! I have to do something amazing to it, too like you did here to be able to eat it.