Friday, January 16, 2009

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup

Here is yet another recipe that I found over at Tammy's Recipe's.
This recipe replaces a can of cream of chicken soup (or any can of cream of soups) that you are adding to any recipe. I made it today & used it in Chicken Spaghetti Casserole (recipe coming soon).
It worked great! I plan on using some of the chicken stock that I have in the freezer to make some more & get a few bags into the freezer so I'll have some quickly when I need it. I think 1 1/2 cups of this recipe when finished equals 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup.
Here is the link to the
original recipe over at Tammy's.

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Yield: 3 cups (about 2 cans)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

2 dried sage leaves, crushed (about 1 t.)
about 1/2 t. dried thyme leaves
1-2 cloves of garlic (depending on size), minced
1/2 small onion, diced small
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

In medium-sized saucepan, simmer the chicken broth with the garlic & onion for about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings & simmer for a few more minutes.

In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
This gets really thick...like cream of chicken is when you dump it out of the can.
Use this in any recipe that calls for a can of cream of chicken soup.
You could add a few diced mushrooms (when you add the onion at the beginning) for cream of mushroom soup, or some diced celery for the cream of celery soup.
Thanks again, Tammy!

3 comments:

Tracey C. said...

Jane, I just LOVE your blog. I like to browse it slowly with a cup of hot tea! Wonderful! I gave you an award: http://frugalchallenge2009.blogspot.com/2009/01/lemonade-award.html

Come see!
Warmly, Tracey C.

Jane said...

Oh goodness!
Thank you so much Tracey, I have never been given a blog award before!
It may take me a few days to do my part & name 10 blogs for this award, but I hope to do it in the next few days.
Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.