Saturday, June 27, 2009

Deep Fried Potato Wedges

I had never made fried potato wedges. I've just always made potato wedges in the oven & called them oven fries. Oven fries are really good, but sometimes you just need batter covered, deep fried potato wedges. :)
So I searched the net for a batter recipe & found one on Cooks.com. I did alter it a bit by adding seasonings. It calls for 3/4 C. cornstarch & 1/4 C. flour. I was low on cornstarch & didn't use that much, but other recipes I found just called for 1 C. flour, so I think that's what I'll do from here on out. I'm not sure why it called for cornstarch really.
So here's the recipe I'll use, but may add *more* of the different seasonings.

Batter for Potato Wedges

1 C. flour
1/2 t. salt (or more)
1/4 t. peper
1 t. baking powder

1/2 to 1 t. garlic powder
1/2 to 1 t. celery salt

1/2 to 1 t. seasoning salt
1/2 C. water
1 egg, beaten


In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, & seasonings.
In another bowl stir together the egg & water. Pour into flour mixture & stir until smooth.
Dip vegetables & deep fry.

We really liked these potatoes. I usually use 9 potatoes for our family of four, whether I'm making mashed potatoes, oven fries, & even cheesy potatoes. I don't ever remember deciding on 9 potatoes, but that's what works for us. It makes a nice sized amount, usually with some left-overs for snacking later. And these deep fried potatoes were delicious as left-overs...cold right out of the frig (what little left-overs there were).

I'm going to keep this batter handy. I think it would be great for onion rings, deep fried cauliflower, or anything I can think of to deep fry. LOL

7 comments:

Jodie said...

Looks great, thanks!

Terri0928 said...

I just tried this recipe and it was delicious, I will use this batter for all of my deep fried dishes from now on, loved it.

Anonymous said...

the reason for corntarch is to make the potato wedges super crispy and not soggy.

Anonymous said...

What is the original recipe?

Anonymous said...

working on the recipe to fry some up...however I have to thank you greatly for the embedded music!!! Wonderful to listen to as I was cooking! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I used this recipe. It was good but a little strong.

wendieann said...

Can you make them up ahead of time. Then just warm them up in the oven when it's time to serve them? I'm serving alot of people and my deep fryer isn't that big.