Friday, June 1, 2007

From the Freezer


Turkey Noodle Casserole with Spinach
6 ounces noodles (1/2 package "no yolk" noodles)
1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed & drained
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1 t. salt
¼ t. prepared mustard
¼ t. black pepper
1 c. turkey or chicken stock
1 c. milk
1 c. mild cheddar cheese, grated
2 c. diced turkey

Cook noodles following package directions; drain. Into noodles toss the thawed & drained spinach.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter; blend in flour, salt, prepared mustard, and pepper. Stir until smooth & bubbly. Gradually add milk & stock, stirring until thickened; remove from heat & stir in cheese until melted.
Pour over noodles & stir to coat. Pour into 8 in. square baking dish. (I used a round 9 in. pan. Could even use a deep dish pie pan.)
Bake at 350 until hot & bubbly.
OR-
Make this a few days after thanksgiving & instead of baking, freeze it. I made 4 or 5 different turkey casseroles & froze them. But so my pans wouldn’t be tied up in the freezer, I read a tip that you could freeze it in the pan you are going to be baking in. Once frozen, you can remove it from the pan. (I lined my pan with foil so it could pop out of the pan easier, but then I did have to peel some of the foil off that had frozen to the casserole, but it wasn’t that hard) Then re-wrap the frozen casserole really well. Then tape a note to it with baking instructions & which pan it goes in.
To bake this frozen, bake at 350 for an hour & a half, or until bubbly. I baked this covered with foil so the top layer of noodles wouldn't get hardened. I think I stirred it a few times too.
I did take the foil off the last 10 minutes or so.




See? It had been in the deep freezer for a little more than 6 months. It's fitting right back into the pan I had frozen it in.



And here it is topped with shredded parmesan cheese, & served with Ritz Cracker broccoli casserole & sliced apples. (I know it was 2 casseroles & 2 green things...but it was still good. lol)
When the family asked what was for supper & I replied with "turkey casserole from the freezer", they all looked disappointed. lol But it turned out they all LOVED it. It was really, really good. It felt like a free meal, because it was from leftover turkey from last year...lol...& it was sure easy to pull something out of the freezer & just bake it.
This could also be made with chopped broccoli. I don't know...I may have one with broccoli in the freezer. lol I think I have 2 different turkey casseroles left in the freezer.


2 comments:

Lori L said...

Great idea for this Thanksgiving! It's good to know that it turned out tasting fine after being frozen for awhile too.

Memories of yesterday said...

What a great idea! Do you think saran wrap would do better than foil during the freezing process?