Saturday, March 28, 2009

Parmesan Twists Breadsticks

This is another recipe that I got from the internet quite a few years ago, so I have no idea where I got it & no way to link to it. I haven't made breadsticks in a few years & thought it was time to get back to it. I found this recipe in my binder & thought I'd give it a try. It was really good. I marked KEEPER at the bottom. That means that everyone in my family loved them & wants to have them again.
Here is a picture of them after they had risen & just before going into the oven:


Parmesan Twists Breadsticks
3/4 C. Water
2 T. olive oil
3 C. bread flour
1 t. salt
1 T. sugar
2 t. active dry yeast

2 T. melted butter for brushing on the breadsticks
Parmesan Cheese

You could use your bread machine for this if you'd like.
1. Combine water, yeast, & sugar in a small bowl & set aside. In mixer combine the olive oil, salt, & flour. Add the water/ yeast mixture & mix with the dough hook. I mix this way for 5 minutes or so, it takes the place of hand kneading for 8-10 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour. If it seems to dry, add warm water 1 t. at a time until you have a nice dough ball.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat it. Cover with a towl & set in warm place to rise for 60-90 minutes or until doubled.
3. Punch down. Divide dough into 20 equal pieces. Roll each piece into 10-12 inch rope. Pinch end of 2 ropes together & then twish them together & pinch them together at the end. Place twists on cookie sheet. Melt the 2 T. butter & brush onto the twists. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cover & let rise in a warm place for 30-60 minutes or until doubled.
4. Bake in 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
Yield: 10 breadsticks
These are delicious served warm.

I baked mine for about 1 minute too long. I was in the laundry room & didn't hear the timer going off. As soon as I left the laundry room I heard it dinging so I RAN to the kitchen! Sure enough, just a little more golden brown than I like, but they were still delicious!



They were really good served with cheesy Chicken Spaghetti.
I think they would also be great with any tomato based pasta too.
And also served as an appatizer, maybe dipped in nacho cheese sauce, garlic butter, or marinara sauce.

No comments: