Sunday, June 29, 2008

GREEN BEANS!

We have green beans!

We are needing to weed the green beans, & you won't believe what our most prominent weed it right now.... volunteer tomato plants! We get so many every year. They have grown up right with the beans, & if you look close enough in this picture you can see them.

We just picked half a row of green beans this afternoon & this is what we have:

I wanted to fix them with our supper, & I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Something different...something I saw Claire do a while back. She ROASTED them. Here's the link to Claire's roasted green beans. (I didn't think to put onions in mine, I wish I would have done that.) We've grown green beans for years, & have had so many green beans, but I've never roasted them. And as much as we now love roasting cauliflower & asparagus in the oven, I just HAD to try roasting green beans.
We all liked them a lot! It made them different. We usually fix them the same or nearly the same way every time, which is in a pot with onions, potatoes, & some bacon grease (shhhh....don't tell).
Well this was different, & it was mighty good! Thanks Claire!!!

Roasted Green Beans
1-2 pounds fresh green beans
olive oil

salt & pepper

Wash the green beans & break off the stems. Pat dry. Place on cookie sheet & drizzle with olive oil. Salt liberally & add cracked pepper.
Place in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.

I forgot to take a picture of my plate (way too anxious to dig in!) but here's the small amount of left over green beans we had with grilled pork chops that had been marinated in Dale's sauce. Thanks for that tip Ashley! We really loved Dale's on pork chops!
So it looks like we need to pick the one & a half rows of green beans in the next few days & get our first canning of the season underway. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm...looks good! I'm glad you liked it. As to the hummus, I DID use tahini! I don't really think it is essential. I think maybe it really tasted more like chickpea than I am used to, but we just need to tinker with it.

Memories of yesterday said...

SO fun!! I live vicariously through you, don't you know??

Thistlemoon said...

What beauties! There is just nothing better than fresh green beans!

Anonymous said...

yummy those greenbeans look good one of my favorite vegetables