Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sweet 'N Sour Beef 'N Cabbage

I know I'm a week late, but I would like to submit this to Tammy's Recipe Swap. She featured cabbage last Wednesday, & I've thought all week that I'd like to get on here & post this recipe.

I found this recipe in an old cookbook that I was getting ready to donate to the library. I went all through it first to see if there were any recipes that I wanted to copy. This recipe jumped out at me! I love cabbage & I love cabbage rolls, though I haven't had them in years. This cook book is titled, Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Hamburger & Ground Meats Recipes. It was published in 1980, so the cover photos look a bit dated. It's funny, but back in the late 70's & early 80's I don't remember things looking this dated. LOL

Sweet 'N Sour Beef 'N Cabbage
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/2 C. chopped celery (opt.)
1/2 C. chopped green pepper
2 T. quick-cooking rolled oats
2 T. chopped parsley
2/3 t. salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. pepper
1 medium head of cabbage
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 C. cider vinegar
3 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
dash pepper

In slillet cook ground beef, onion, celery, & green pepper till meat is browned; drain off fat. Sprinkle meat mixture with rolled oats, parsley, 3/4 t. salt, garlic powder, & 1/8 t. pepper.
Core cabbage; cut into six wedges. Place atop meat. In bowl combine tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, & the 1/2 t. salt & a dash of pepper; mix well. Pour over cabbage & meat. Cover & simmer for 15-20 minutes or till cabbage is tender. Serve at once. Makes 6 servings.

This is really good. It has a wonderful sweet 'n sour flavor that is perfect with the cabbage.
I made this again a few weeks ago & my cabbage was pretty large. I cut it into more than 6 wedges, but I still had to cook it a little longer. I also go just a bit heavier on the seasonings too.

I hope you try this & enjoy it as much as we do!

4 comments:

Alison said...

This sounds like something I would like! I have a similar recipe that I should post to my blog. Instead of the wedges or actually rolling the cabbage rolls, I chop the cabbage. Makes it kind of stew-like.

YUM! Can't wait to try your version!

LucyDelRey said...

I made this last week and it was soooo good!! The leftovers heated really well and tasted even better. I did however, the oats with rice. TY for the recipe as it will go in my file.

Jane said...

I'm so glad you liked it Lucy!
It's a keeper in my file too.
I really like it as leftovers also.

Hi Alison,
I think chopping the cabbage up would be just fine. It would be easier for little ones to eat that way too.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)