Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cheesy Tuna Tater Pie

This is one of those really cheap, really easy, & really good (I think) meals.
Our local grocery store usually has free sample tastes of different recipes. Not like WalMart's free sample tastes, where it's just a taste of a product they are selling. This is where a lady sits at a table with a hot plate of something, but it's a recipe made up & there are little sample dishes to try, but there is also a stack of printable recipes & a few sample products sitting there so you can see what you need to get to make this recipe. (Saturday-yesterday- it was an oreo ice cream pie kind of thing. Yum!)
Well, that is how I got this recipe, & I know it was more than 6 years ago. I love that this hometown, locally owned grocery store does this. And I'm so happy that they are still here & thriving even after the Super WalMart moved in quite a few years ago. :)

If you like tuna, I'm sure you'll like this savory pie. If you don't like tuna, you may want to skip this one.

Cheesy Tuna Tater Pie

Crust:
1 Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
OR Make your own. Here' my recipe.

Filling:
3/4 C. Hungry Jack (or any brand) mashed potato flakes
6 oz. (1 1/2 cups) shreded cheddar cheese
2 T. chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives (I never add these)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (OR 1 batch of homemade condensed cream of chicken soup)
1 (6 oz) can water-packed tuna, drained & flaked
1 egg
1/2 cup canned french fried onions.

1. Heat oven to 400. Prepare pie crust as directed on package for one-crust. Bake at 400 for 5 minutes. (or use your own crust & bake in pie pan for 5 min.)
2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine potato flakes, 1 cup of the cheese, olives, soup, tuna and egg; mix well.
3. Remove partially baked shell from oven. Spoon filling into shell. Return to oven' bake an additional 15 minutes.
4. Sprinkle top of pie with french fried onions and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and onions begin to brown. Let stand 5 minutes fefore serving.
Makes 6 servings.

The only reason I never add the olives is because we all love olives here. If we have a jar in the frig, it never lasts long. So I never have olives on hand for this recipe. LOL I would like to try it with the olives in it sometime.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom used to make this all the time for us except that the crust is homemade with some potato flakes in it. We don't use olives either! SO good!

Jane said...

Oh that's cool, Claire!
It really is good, isn't it?
But my daughter who's not so keen on tuna doesn't really care for it.
I love it. I can even eat it re-heated for breakfast the following morning. LOL