Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tuscan Bean Soup

This is a new recipe to me. I love trying a new recipe & having the whole family really like it. It then becomes a KEEPER. This is my newest KEEPER. This recipe is the perfect size to cook in my cast iron dutch oven. I'm trying to use it as often as I can so it'll be good & seasoned.
This recipe comes to me from my dear friend Dana (go read her blog, her writing is A-mazing). And a link to the origional recipe can be found here.

Tuscan Bean Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cups low fat, low sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups kidney beans, cooked
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1 cup seashell pasta
ground black pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the oil, onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and saute for 3 more minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the thyme, spinach and pasta. Simmer for 5 more minutes and pepper to taste.

I did add fresh mushrooms, because I had them & I couldn't remember which recipe I needed them for. Mushroom don't keep long in the frig, so I used them. I reckon now I'll remember what I needed them for & won't have them. LOL I sliced them & added them in when I added the green pepper ('cause I didn't have red) & sauted them until tender. Then proceeded with the recipe as written. I also used my own chicken stock, & the canned tomatoes I used had garlic & basil in it. I also used more spinach that the recipe called for. I don't like spinach, but I sure liked it in this soup!

This soup is really good!
Thanks Dana!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

yum!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm...this looks delicious! I'm going to have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Matt says he is willing to try this but he is not big in the veggie department. Katie

Windy said...

I enjoyed listening to your play list while I cooked this number up tonight and looked at the recipe! Thanks!!