Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Creamy Chicken Broccoli Casserole in Flat Bread

I didn't know what to call this recipe. I have it in my cookbook as Chicken Broccoli Casserole.
I made it at least 15 years ago & made this note on it:
"This is WAY too rich to eat as a casserole! We ended up eating it on ritz crackers as a snack & the next morning on toast for breakfast. I bet this would be good in pita bread." And then I filed it under 'appetizers' & never fixed it again. Until this summer when I noticed it & decided I'd buy some flat bread instead of pita & give it a try. I am glad I did. :)

I used our fresh broccoli from the garden & thought it looked great while it was cooking.
Creamy Chicken Broccoli Casserole on Flat Bread
10 oz. pkg chopped broccoli (thawed)
1/4 pound butter
2 c. celery, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 T. salt
1 t. pepper
1/2 t. garlic salt
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless cooked & cubed chicken
16 oz. cream cheese
Saute in butter the celery, onions, green pepper, & mushrooms. Add broccoli & saute until all veg. are tender. Add chicken & seasonings. Add cream cheese & stir over low heat until cream cheese is melted. Pour into butteren 9x13 pan & heat in 350 oven until top is golden brown.
The recipe calls for 1 -1/4 pounds of chicken, but I don't think you have to be that precise. However much you want I bet would work just fine.
I bought the thicker flat bread, but I would think you could also use tortillas if you want to make a wrap out of this.
Here's a picture of it in the flat bread, served with fried zucchini sticks. Oh man. This was GOOD.

It makes enough for leftovers. lol
So here it is the next day as an almost completely different meal.
This time I served it on top of flat bread, with some green beans & potatoes, 2 different cucumber salads, a melon salad, & some cheese sticks. (it was clean the leftovers out of the frig day...lol)

No comments: