Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Freezer Slaw

I have been meaning to post this recipe since July. We used to have freezer slaw while growing up, but I forgot about it. Then a friend (an old babysitting parent) reminded me of that recipe when I told her I had a lot of cabbage in the garden. Here's a nice head of cabbage that came out of our garden back in June.
I have a recipe for slaw that is the kind with mayo. You can have your slaw with or without mayo. The mayo recipe I have is the copy cat recipe for KFC cole slaw. We really LOVE that slaw. Freezer slaw does not have mayo, it has vinegar in it & has that sweet & sour taste.
It is DELICIOUS. Everytime I get some out of the freezer, we eat it up quickly. It's a nice side dish to any meal. I know cabbage is more of a summer produce, but I have bought some on sale at the store lately, so I now I need to make more freezer slaw. I just couldn't pass up a head of cabbage for 49 cents!


Freezer Slaw
2 lbs. cabbage (4 cups)
1 large green pepper
3 large carrots
¾ c. onions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup water
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed

Shred cabbage, green pepper, and carrots. (I did it in the food processor.) Add onion. Sprinkle with salt; let stand 1 hour. Drain. Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes. Cool. Pour over cabbage mixture; let stand 5 minutes. Stir well. Pack in can or freeze jars or plastic freezer boxes. Seal; label; and freeze. Yield: about 5 pints.



When I ran out of those freezer containers, I used cottage cheese containers that I had washed & saved. I just made sure to write on the lid what it was, otherwise I might pull it out of the freezer & not know, because I have been known to freeze single servings or two servings of stuff (chili, soups, anything really...) in cottage cheese containers. It IS important to label them. LOL

And, here's a neat little thing about cabbage. It is like broccoli in that when you harvest it, you don't uproot the whole plant. You just cut out the head of cabbage & leave the plant there. In a few weeks more little heads will appear & start growning. They are miniature & will not grow to full size, but they are still good. And fun for the kids. Our 5 year old (almost 6 now!) loves to eat baby cabbages.
Here are some baby cabbages we harvested in September.
Aren't they cute?!


I hope somebody makes freezer slaw & enjoys it as much as we do.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

My mom passed away a couple years ago and I have been looking for this recipe! Cant wait to make it and try it out. We use to spend so much time in the garden and kitchen... now its kinda therapeutic for me. Thanks again for posting