Sunday, February 3, 2008

PEPPERMINT PATTY BROWNIES

These brownies are so good. You layer about half the brownie mixture, then line up all the peppermint patties you can, & then cover them with the rest of the brownie mixture. Here's a picture taken before I spread the top layer of brownie mixture.
Looking at that, you just KNOW it's going to be good!


PEPPERMINT PATTIE BROWNIES
1 1/2 C butter or margarine
3 C. sugar
5 eggs
1 T. vanilla
2 C. flour
1 C. baking cocoa
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 package (13 oz.) chocolate covered peppermint patties

In a mixing bowl, cream butter & sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread about two-thirds of the batter in a greased 9X13 pan. Arrange peppermint patties over the top. Carefully spread remaining batter over patties. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan & toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Top will appear uneven. Cool completely before cutting . Yields 2 - 2 1/2 dozen.


I do have a reccomendation here. I would use York Peppermint Patties. This time I picked up a couple of cheap bags of peppermint patties at the Family Dollar store, figuring it would be fine. But when I started unwrapping them, I did notice that they were quite a bit thinner. York brand is a thicker patty & they hold up better in the brownie. The cheap peppermint patties I used pretty much melted away in this batch, although I did find some in there. In the second picture, you can see just a bit of white from the peppermint patty. They were still absolutely delicious, but I would stick with York brand.
And one more thing, the toothpick NEVER comes out clean for me on this recipe. That's what the origional recipe says, but it never comes out clean. Ever. I bet it's because of the peppermint patties. So I wouldn't use that method to check for doneness, otherwise they'll be overdone.

And I must add that these are great in the morning with hot tea. It's just what I need to get my day started! LOL!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmmmmm...I'm going to have to tag these. I think that my SS class would love this.