Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesdays


My tip this week is for keeping freshly cut herbs fresh.
To keep them fresh, put them in a glass of water, just like you would freshly cut flowers. This picture is from yesterday. I picked too much flat leaf parsley & a little too much thyme. They are sitting on my counter even now, as fresh as when I picked them yesterday.



I found this hint this summer while I was checking different sites to learn more about herbs.
You should do this with herbs you buy at the store too. You can also lightly wrap the top part with plastic wrap & store it in the frig. I got to the point I would NOT buy herbs in the store because half the time they'd go bad before I even used them. So if you buy herbs in the store, take them out of the package & put them in a glass of water, lightly cover in plastic wrap, & store in the frig.
I'm using fresh out of the garden, but sometimes (a lot of times, lol) I pick too many. So I have been doing this trick. But, I just kept the parsley out on the counter in the 'vase', & it stayed fresh, I'm not kidding, for TWO WEEKS! I changed the water a few times, but that's all I did. Really.
Try this trick, you'll be glad you did.
You can see more tips at Tammy's site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I'm always looking for the best way to keep herbs fresh and this one sounds like a keeper :)